Translate

About the blog

This rambling blog is about building a couple of simple layouts in HO, the available space is rather small but the prototype was not built on the grand scale, most rural stations were merely a curved loop and a siding, which is easy to replicate.

Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Slow down of activities

Recently, I began to realise that I was loosing my battle against a rather debilitating health problem and interest levels had dropped to a point where they were non-existent, fortunately my wife took me on a recuperation visit and encouraged me to get 'back on the horse'. This bit of waffle might explain why I need to continue with Pottendorf and how it became so important to my recovery:-

Like many tyros, I get frustrated by choices and I certainly don’t have all the answers but I do know what I prefer – small intimate railways to which I can relate. This allows me to create a scene that speaks to me about my interests and provides an achievable outcome whilst challenging me to stretch my abilities.

For example, I know that I do not have the ability to build stock or motive power but scenery is within my comfort zone therefore I carefully choose those items which will allow me to build a layout that has a fighting chance of getting finished whilst I built the setting.

The first constraint is the available time, although I am retired I need to face the facts - all my efforts need to be productive and no time wasting, a formidable  challenge at 65+ moreover I want something that would be satisfying with a simple, tiny station and stock that was both appropriate and would not dominate the scene.

My favourite short line is the area that is better known as the Fränkische Schweiz, an area about 40kms north of Nürnberg. Rather than copy the modern system, my railway is set at the end of state ownership in the 1920s which allows me a little more leeway in the stock that I can run, the line still used small steam locos with four wheel lokalbahn coaches in everyday service.

Other less obvious pleasures are occasional* field trips to Fränkische Schweiz and the
Fränkische Freilandmuseum plus great friendships with the guys on the ground who constantly help with information.



At the museum 

Building ‘Pottendorf’ is rewarding because it is not just about the modelling, there is the interaction with other enthusiasts as well as the pleasure of research leading to the challenge of scratch building a simple rake of coaches which is not available over the counter. OK, it may not be your scene but careful selection of an achieveable outcome is possible if not essential.

Tim

*Just a short drive and a trunk full of beer on the return journey.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tim,

    That's sad news -- I've been following your blog since it was ho! All the best,

    Steve Davis (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim,
    So sorry to hear of your oncological problem. Please know that you and your wife are in my prayers.
    Like Steve, I've been a frequent visitor ( from the USA ) for a while. Maybe a little shunting layout will help relieve the model railroad itch should it happen to return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am still here, things are stabilising and it is more of a slow down than a full stop. I just need to catch my breath.
    Reducing the 'stuff' is no bad idea, I had too much anyway.
    Hopefully, service will be resumed when possible, albeit a bit less frenetic.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome but try not to be anonymous.