It is presumed that most passenger services would have been allocated to 71C Dorchester shed whilst the heavier goods traffic to 72A Exmouth Junction shed.
exSR S15 Maunsell three car set + Catering set
The S15 class was regarded by locomotive crews as an excellent goods engine best known for working heavy night express goods trains between Exeter, Southampton and Nine Elms. The S15s were also very capable passenger engines, being able to deputise in situations where there was a shortage of passenger locomotives during peak holiday periods. Both Urie and Maunsell S15s spent most of their working lives on the Southern Railway's Western section, although they were sometimes used on inter-regional goods workings.
exLSWR D15 exLSWR rebuilt 58' three-coach set + Van
The D15s -They were Drummond's last design, a return to 4-4-0s after his disastrous 4-6-0s. These successful locomotives worked, in the main, out of Waterloo, after the Direct Portsmouth electrification they worked semi-fasts to Waterloo, empty fish vans from Bournemouth to Brentford and Portsmouth-Salisbury/GWR trains. Eastleigh D15s worked through to Brighton after Ford bridge was strengthened in 1941. Then an Eastleigh engine went down in the afternoon, spent the night on Brighton shed and returned next morning.
exLSWR O2 exLSWR Pull+Push Gate set
The O2 class was distributed throughout the LSWR system, being of particular use on restricted branch lines in the West of England due to their relatively low weight and short wheelbase. Despite the early withdrawals, a number of O2s lasted well into BR days, working various branch lines until closure began in the late 1950s. The last mainland O2s to be withdrawn was number 30225 in 1962
The N class was designed in 1914 by Richard Maunsell for mixed-traffic duties on the South Eastern and Chatham Railway (SECR). They worked over most of the Southern Railway (SR) network.
Class members based at Exmouth Junction shed were withdrawn in 1964, whilst the last operational members of the class were Nos. 31405 and 31408; both were withdrawn in June 1966.
exLSWR T9 Milk, newspaper, mail.
Intended for express passenger work, 66 T9s were eventually built. They proved of great use west of Salisbury where their light axle loadings and short frame lengths were better suited to the tight curves of the Southern's Western Section. The class operated until 1963 when the last example, No 30120, was withdrawn.
exLSWR 700 Pick-up goods
The 700 class was a class of 30 0-6-0 goods locomotives, the class was designed by Dugald Drummond in 1897 and built by Dübs of Glasgow. The last years were spent working goods on the few remaining secondary lines of the exLSWR.